Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I am not the healthiest person around, by a long shot, but I try. We visit chick fil-A often, my son loves some golden arches, there have been many times where I consumed frozen yogurt for dinner, and we won't even touch on my wine consumption.

At other time, I make extremely healthy meals, everything I try to cook tends to be homemade, I have tried to steer clear of the processed stuff (not completely) but compared to a year or 2 ago, its a lot. Step by step we will get there.

Well for an almost 5 year old (OMG I can't believe he will be 5 before the end of this month, someone pour me pour me a wine shot of whiskey ) that is not good. You see my son eats breakfast twice. I only found that out last week. Every student that arrives on time gets fed breakfast. I was under the impression they asked the kids if they had breakfast and if they did, they wouldn't give them another. Nope. So ever since finding out he eats breakfast at school, I have limited his breakfast at home. Instead of 2 or 3 muffins, he will get 1. Instead of 2 waffles he will only get 1 and so forth. Today he had 1 of those banana muffins I made 2 days ago and I dropped him off.

When I picked him up he was mad. Oh so mad. He let me know. He let me know that this morning they had colorful cereal. The little circles and they had all kinds of colors like a rainbow, not those boring gray ones I have given him before, but the truly colorful ones. So pretty it made his milk look like a rainbow and why have I never bought him those. and how all his friends were laughing and calling him crazy because he never had those before.Why why???

Uh....how do you explain processed food and food coloring is bad for a kid?? YOu don't. I explained to him its not good for you, he didn't buy it. I told him that mommy doesn't eat that so therefore I don't have the habit to buying it. That didn't help either, he said the first thing he will ask daddy when daddy gets home is to buy those instead of the peanut butter chocolate ones daddy likes.

And yes ladies and gentleman, my almost 5 year old has never had fruit loops before. Oh the shame. He will definitely need therapy.

So see, damned if I try to feed him healthy, damned if I don't and get critiziced. Oh finding this balance without denying my child anything is proving to difficult.

Where is that wine again???

love A

4 comments:

Cayce, Sara, and Lily said...

How about a compromise? Fruity Cheerios, they're bright and colorful, and 9 grams of sugar vs. 12 grams in Fruits Loops. Not perfect, but better.

Ally said...

I didn't even know they made those. You can see how much I eat cereal right..I will check it out, thank you so much you rock :)

Sundee said...

We do Fruity Cheerios too. And Chocolate Cheerios. :)

Lisa said...

Totally agree about the cheerios ones. My kids LOVE all of them. :)